UTOP Program Website
The University Transition Opportunities Program (UTOP) began in 1986 to facilitate the underrepresented student's transition from high school to college. By involving incoming UNC Charlotte freshmen in a rigorous six-week summer collegiate experience, UTOP builds upon the scholastic abilities of the students through college courses and contact with University academic support services.
How UTOP Works
- Participants enroll in classes together for a total of 7 credit hours
- Participants develop study skills and college survival tips by working with staff from the University Center for Academic Excellence
- Participants become familiar with and utilize campus resources
- Participants receive academic advising and monitoring throughout the students' freshmen year
- Participants take part in co-curricular activities
Through a mentoring relationship with an upper-class student, UTOP participants will:
- Ease their transitional experience from high school to college.
- Make connections academically, socially and co-curricularly.
- Receive direct support from another student at the university.
Benefits of UTOP Mentorship:
- Academic support
- Improved self-confidence and self-esteem
- Increased motivation
- Broadening horizons and experiences
- Raised achievements and aspirations
- Building relationships
- Increased awareness of campus resources and opportunities
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28223
704-687-0030 (Office) | 704-687-1402 (Fax)